Hungary offers a large variety of architectural styles that can easily double as other European cities, experienced crew and tax incentives.
Filming in Hungary
Hungary has a large variety of architectural styles that can easily double as other European cities and famous landmarks. An example of this is German, Italian, French streets, interiors, vineyards, landscapes, etc. The capital city Budapest can double for London, Paris, Rome and Berlin while also being much more cost effective.
Hungary offers huge and small lakes, wide and narrow rivers, endless fields and beautiful forests as well as several backlots: two medieval towns, renaissance Italian city, XIX and XXI century New York.
Why come to Hungary
- You’ll find the widest variety of cast, with all ethnicities represented, as Budapest is the biggest capital in the region
- Talents have low rate, daily fee and buyout fees as well
- Talents are experienced, English speaking and not unionized
- Great stunt crews
- Hungary has the best animal handlers, beside the regular dogs and cats, we have wolves, bears, deer and many others as well
- Working days are long, 12 hours with 45 minutes lunchbreak
- The crew is very experienced in their field, and they communicate well in English
- There are no unions
- All major equipment available, including all types of cameras, technocranes, Russian arm, steadicams, fightheads, 3D beam splitter, motion controls, robotic arms, drones, etc.
Hungary has a typical continental climate with hot dry summers and mildly cold snowy winters. There are four seasons in Hungary: winter (December-February), spring (March- May), summer (June-August), and autumn (September-November).
Average annual temperature is 9.7 °C (49.5 °F). Average high temperature in the summer is 23 to 28 °C (73 to 82 °F) and temperatures can climb up above 35 °C on the hottest days in July-August. Average low temperature in the winter is −3 to −7 °C (27 to 19 °F) and temperatures might drop below -10 °C on the coldest days.
Our Hungarian partner has been providing its production services for feature films, commercials, photoshoots and music videos in Hungary and in the Central European region with more than 12 years of experience.
Our Hungarian team really aims to surround their clients with an uplifting crew giving them a sense of ease as they fly through the whole production process. The team believes it’s equally important to provide them with the highest quality production service along with joyful memories and little gifts to take home from the shared journey of filmmaking. It’s hard to describe the pride and happiness when the esteemed clients decide to bring another project to them. You are welcome to meet the team!
Tax Breaks & Incentives
- In Hungary film productions can get access to the generous 30 % Production Cash Rebate.
- Plus an additional allowance (25%) of the local Hungarian spend can be spent on foreign costs by the Hungarian Production Company which also qualifies for the 30% tax rebate.
- All local Hungarian expenses – with few exceptions – will qualify for the 30% rebate.
- Features, TV mini-series, TV dramas, TV programmes – with scientific, historical, political, cultural, touristic, natural wildlife, etc. content can qualify.
- The call for applications is open all year.
- The tax rebate – as an indirect subsidy – is non-recourse, non-repayable and non-recoupable cash rebate provided by local corporate taxpayers.
- Local and Foreign Spend can be in any currency (USD, EUR, GBP, HUF) and can also be spent outside of Hungary,
- No minimum spend, no cap per project, no annual fiscal budget cap.
- No minimum cost requirements, no theatrical screening requirements, no completion or delivery requirements.
- Production Company has to be registered at the National Film Office (NFO)
- Start of filming has to be registered at the National Film Office (NFO)
- All films shall meet the cultural test criteria (cultural test) which follows the usual European cultural tests.
Production houses: ttling Stick, Caviar, Smuggler, Independent Media, Tobbogan, RSA, Caspar&Co Productions, Biscuit Filmworks, Just So, Tobago Films, Gang Films, Storner, E+P films, We Young, Erste Liebe, Soft Citizen, Spy Films, Bacon, Motion Blur
Directors: Karim Do, Janusz Kaminski, Tim Godsall, Todd Field, Noam Murro, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Arni & Kinski, Jonathan Notaro, Aircastle, Peter Atencio, Aladino Debert, Bjoern Ruhmann, Oskar Holmedal, Gary Lankford, John J Budion, Kenan Moran, Frank Samuel, Rad-ish, Koichi Tokuhira, Yusuke Tanaka, Tomokazu Yamada, Daihachi Yoshida, Anton Watts, Rob Sanders, David Lodge, Jonny Madderson and Jono Stevens, Clay Weiner, Julien Potart, Carine Charaire and Olivier Casamayou
The Hungarian team is a slick, professional set up. They went above and beyond to look after us, and to make sure that production value showed on the screen. Plus, I still have very fond memories of the on set catering!
Interested in filming in Hungary?
Let us put you in touch with the right production service company abroad. Simply fill out your requirments and we will get the right service partner for your pitch reaching out to you directly, saving you time and stress.